Joanna worked in Sports Medicine as an athletic trainer and aquatic therapist at Portland State University 1993-98, then rehabilitated Oregon Ballet theatre dancers via Pilates 1998-2009.
She completed her masters in Chinese Medicine and acupuncture in 2001, specializing in both Tui Na, and Shiatsu. Her love of Shiatsu was so great that she became certified through the AOBTA, the Association of Bodywork therapies of Asia in 2001, where she was first introduced to Jean-Pierre Barral’s work through her mentor, Lindy Ferrigno, now known as Grandmother Winter Jade.
Joanna took her first Barral Institute class in 2011 with Ron Marrioti, ND and immediately fell in love with the work, calling it “A Chinese Medical playground”. After over a decade of learning the organs, tendons, vessels, bones, nerves and all structures via Chinese Medical theory, it was time to delve in deeper. Jean-Pierre’s gentle, specific, and effective manner has been a delightful way to further embrace Chinese Medicine for the next decade.
Joanna has taken and retaken all Barral courses available and will continue to refresh and deepen her understanding of Jean-Pierre’s teachings every day.
Joanna has 2 amazing teenagers, and a labradoodle puppy in Portland, OR while constantly battling removal of invasive species from her SW Portland home and replanting native plants. Joanna is an Irish dancer with the Oregon Irish Dance academy.
Experience / Licensure
- Owner, GroundSpring Healing Center, P.C. Certified Teacher’s Assistant, Barral Institute
- Oregon College of Oriental Medicine, 2001 Masters in Acupuncture, and Oriental Medicine
- Nanjing University, 2001 Gynecology, Pediatrics, Oncology, Respiratory,
- GI Athletic Trainer, BS Portland State University 1993-1998
Professional Associations / Memberships
- Oregon Association of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
- Association of Bodywork Therapies of Asia
- NCCAOM, National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
- Multnomah Village Business Association