- Naturopathic Physician with over 12 years of clinical experience (March, 2005 – present)
- Certified Visceral Manipulation instructor for The Barral Institute teaching VM1, VM2, VM3, VM4, VM5 LT1, and NM1 (2008-present)
- Adjunct faculty at Bastyr University teaching Visceral Manipulation 1 (Abdomen 1); Visceral Manipulation 2 (Abdomen 2); Visceral Manipulation 3 (Pelvis) (2007-present)
- Additional education and licensure in Intravenous Therapy and prescription of Class III-IV controlled substances. Received DEA number in 2007.
- Licensed Massage Practitioner with 15 years experience working with patients suffering with chronic illness, pain, emotional trauma, neurological disorders, infants and children suffering the consequences of birth trauma (license no longer active)
- Experience creating educational material
- Experience creating study group material
- Developer online / hands-on visceral manipulation study group (vmstudygroup.com)
- Founder and owner of a small business
Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine, June 2004
Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA, 1999-2004
Completed an accredited program of coursework and supervised practice in Botanical, Homeopathic, and Physical Medicine. Program included 500 primary student clinician hours, and 400 hours in supportive roles. Extensive exposure to the specific issues affecting patients suffering with HIV/AIDS (4 quarters – 176 hours) and children suffering with ADD. Investigated current research and wrote a review paper on declining S-DHEA levels in HIV infected patients and provided the impetus to change the standard of care in this regard at the Bastyr clinic. Investigate the use of bio-impedance analysis in the management of HIV, metabolic syndrome, and obesity.
- Patrick Donnovan, ND, General Practice, 25 hours of observation with patients suffering from autoimmune diseases. Assisted in blood draws and pre- and post-HIV testing and counseling.
- Karen Van Der Veer, NMD, General Practice (HIV/AIDS care), 65 hours of observation in the use of IV therapeutics in the treatment of HIV/AIDS.
- Rob Killian, MD, General Practice (HIV/AIDS care), 44 hours of observation in the allopathic treatment of HIV/AIDS. Assisted in blood draws and discussed alternative treatment options for various patients.
Bachelor of Science, Zoology
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1994 -1999
Bachelor of Arts, English Literature
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1994 – 1999
- In-depth study and writing focusing on 19th century English literature.
- Areas of interest were William Blake, William Shakespeare, D. H. Lawrence, George Elliot.
The Upledger Institute
Received advanced training in Craniosacral Therapy (CST) and Visceral Manipulation (VM)
The Barral Institute
Received advanced training in Visceral Manipulation (VM)
Received Diplomate certification in VM and NM
Private Practice, Visceral Synergy & Advanced Immune Wellness Seattle, WA 2004-present
Primary Clinician Internship, Bastyr Center of Natural Health, WA 2002-2004
500 hours. Evaluated and assisted in the diagnosis of patients suffering with various conditions including metabolic syndrome, diabetes, hypertension, chronic pain, autoimmune disease, and digestive complaints. Achieved proficiency in the naturopathic treatment of HIV/AIDS. Actively engaged in literature research on current treatment options. Became proficient in the use and interpretation of bioimpedance analysis in the treatment of HIV/AIDS as well as metabolic disorders and obesity.
Visceral Manipulation Teacher, Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA, 2007-present
- Developer and teacher of Barral Institute authorized visceral manipulation courses.
- Course design specifically focused on educational needs of Naturopathic physicians.
Visceral Manipulation Teacher, Barral Institue, 2008-present
- International teacher of Barral Institute authorized visceral manipulation courses (VM1, VM2, and VM3).
Teacher, AIDS and Alternative Medicine, Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA, 2004-2007
- Redesigned AIDS and Alternative Medicine elective course.
Teaching Assistant The Upledger Institute, 1992-2007
- Assists course instructors in Craniosacral therapy, and Visceral Manipulation
Teaching Assistant The Barral Institute, 2005 – present
- Assists course instructors Visceral Manipulation
Visceral Manipulation Study group developer and leader 2000-present
- Provides education in theory, anatomy and visceral manipulation techniques as well as hands-on practical guidance to both beginning and advanced study groups.
- Developed an innovative study guide for group participants.
- Developed a comprehensive online / hands-on 6 month visceral manipulation study group
Professional Conference Lecturer
Neuorplasticity, the Gut, and the Role of Visceral Manipulation in Modulating Neuroplastic Changes.
- 70 minute presentation to the Australian Osteopathic Association’s annual convention in 2013.
Research and Publication
Author of Naturopathic Approach to Visceral Manipulation, Volume 1 The Abdomen providing detailed clinical textbook of visceral manipulation as well organ specific naturopathic protocols – published June 2009
Clinical Research Assistant, ADD Clinic shift, Bastyr Center for Natural Health, Seattle, WA, 2004. Assisted the primary investigator in clinical research evaluating the effectiveness of all modalities of naturopathic medicine towards the treatment of patients with ADD/ADHD. Screened patients, collected data, and devised treatment plans.
Designed and distributed a clinician survey to three prominent HIV specialists focused on educating clinicians in the AIDS and Alternative Medicine class at Bastyr University.
Author of Physiological and Clinical Applications of Visceral Manipulation, Volume 2 The Pelvis providing detailed clinical textbook of visceral manipulation as well organ specific naturopathic protocols – publication pending.
Author of Physiological and Clinical Applications of Visceral Manipulation, Volume 3 The Thorax providing detailed clinical textbook of visceral manipulation as well organ specific naturopathic protocols – publication pending.
Author of Visceral Manipulation – Stories of Hope and Inspiration providing inspirational stories of how visceral manipulation has helped certain people with there health struggles – publication pending.
Author of The Care and Feeding of Your Organs providing nutritional guidance on foods that are beneficial to each organ – publication pending.
Other Related Work Experience
Licensed Massage Practitioner (private contractor), Seattle, WA 1991- 2004
- 5 years experience (1993-1998) utilizing therapeutic massage to assist patients in resolving chronic muscle pain, and trauma from motor vehicle accidents.
- 14 years experience utilizing Upledger CranioSacral Therapy and Visceral Manipulation in assisting clients to resolve chronic pain, urogenital restrictions, gastrointestinal lesions (hiatal hernia, constipation, visceral pain, etc.), and somatically based emotional issues (abuse, trauma, etc.).
Licensed Massage Practitioner, Lakeside Massage Clinic, Seattle Wa 1992-1994
- Assisted patients in resolving chronic muscle pain, and trauma due to motor vehicle accidents.
- Successfully utilized CST and VM to localize the primary cause of pain as well as assisted in the resolution of chronic pain.
Licensed Massage Practitioner (volunteer), In-Touch, Seattle, Wa 1992-1994
- Provided Swedish massage, Therapeutic touch, Craniosacral therapy, Visceral Manipulation, and Chakra balancing to patients suffering with HIV/AIDS.
- Provided massage therapy to home-bound patients suffering with AIDS.
- Engaged in debriefing/counseling sessions when patients had died.
Licensed Massage Practitioner, The Marriot Desert Springs, Palm Desert, Ca 1990-1991
- Worked in spa setting providing Swedish massage, Reflexology, and Acupressure.
International Alliance of Healthcare Educators, active member 2008 – present
Washington Association of Naturopathic Physicians, active member 2004 – present
American Association of Naturopathic Physicians, active member 2003 – present